Online therapy, also called teletherapy might be a great option for you. Some reasons people choose online therapy over face to face therapy include:
- Convenience - No commute! San Diego traffic can be a nightmare depending on what time of day you are traveling and what part of the city you are heading to.
- Comfort - Many people prefer online counseling because it allows them to meet with a therapist from a place of their choosing. Often times people feel most comfortable when they are in their own home, backyard, or personal space, a space they designed for their own maximum comfort.
- Confidentiality - You don't have to worry about being seen coming or going from your therapist's office. You don't have to worry about who you might see while you are in the waiting room.
- Consistency - Therapy works best if you meet with your therapist on a consistent basis. However, if you travel frequently for work or if you care for a child or aging parent, keeping a weekly appointment with your therapist may not be possible. Online therapy makes it easier to schedule and maintain consistent contact with your therapist.
- Creative Scheduling - Online therapy makes it easy for us to meet during off hours such as; before work, your lunch hour, during laundry night, during evening hours, and for teachers, that 4:00 pm spot right after the students leave for the day. Online therapy allows for you to get creative with your scheduling and to fit an appointment in during a time that works best for you. I reserve a few evening spots solely for my online therapy clients.
How does it work? Online therapy works just like traditional face to face therapy. You and I will have a scheduled appointment. When it is time for your appointment I will email you a link to join me in an online therapy room. This will connect you and I, face to face, just like Facetime or Skype. All other office policies are the same, nothing changes except for the location of our meeting.
Is it confidential? Yes, online therapy is confidential. I use a platform called doxy.me to connect with clients, it is a secure, HIPAA compliant website that serves as our therapy room during our meetings. Doxy.me is completely online, you do not have to download an app or plugin to connect with me, you don't even have to create an account. When it is time for your appointment, just click the link that I email you, this will connect you and I to each other.
Does my insurance cover online therapy? Most Cigna plans will cover online therapy. Before our meeting I will verify your benefits and make sure that your online session is covered by Cigna.
Still not sure if online therapy is right for you? Contact me at (619) 383-1900 to schedule a free 15 minute consultation online.
*Must be located in the state of California in order to receive online therapy from this provider. I am also able to provide online therapy to some international countries.